View on GitHub

The LoneyBin 5.x

The run-off of my brain, in digital form.

Varnerized Prusa Upgrade Time

The Varnerized Prusa has been around for over a year now, turning plastic strings into plastic parts. It’s been a bit magical. But like all good things, it’s time for it to get a bit better. I’ve experienced some problems over the last year, and I finally decided to invest in some upgrades.

Read More

Nichrome Wire Pyrotechnics

In my early sugar motor experiments I was using fuses to light the propellant grains. This resulted in the motors burning from the bottom of the core to the top, which had a few significant effects on the burn rate, internal pressures, etc. It just wasn’t good. In keeping with the rest of my goals for this project, I looked into making my own electric matches, pyrotechnic triggers that would get hot enough to ignite the propellant.

Read More

Model Rocketry Experiments

I had my right wrist rebuilt a few months ago in an amazing surgery. Since I have a severe weight restriction (and associated activity restrictions) I decided to take up a project / interest I’ve been playing with for several years off and on. Trying to make model rocket engines from household supplies and ‘r-candy’ (sugar based propellants) recipes.

Read More

Npm Is Still A Ghetto

There. I said it. As a normally backend kind of guy, who likes things to be very predictable and easy to work with… npm just feels ghetto. By ghetto, I mean really thrown together and not very polished.

Read More

A Local Ca For Embedded Dev Projects

Since the printer has been working for a year now, it’s time to document some things I’m doing with it.

Read More

Ramps 1.4 Is Ghetto

I spent the first two weeks of February waiting for the hotends to arrive. In the meantime, I did some tweaking and what-not of firmware, and got acquainted (as best I could) with mesh bed leveling, the Marlin firmware, and getting my heated bed working properly. That last bit…. there was magic smoke involved.

Read More

Signs Of Life

All in all, this has gone surprisingly well so far. I have worked my way through the MK2s and MK3 assembly guides (switching between the two – the frame and y-axis is MK3, the X, Z, and extruder are MK2s and have a mounted PSU, Heatbed, and extruder assembly (minus the hot-end, which I’m still waiting for… cringe). I also have a mess of cables. In the MK3 guide, they recommend doing cable management ‘all at once’ at the end. I have to agree that deferring cable management to the end seems to be the easiest route.

Read More

It Has Begun

Over the last week, nearly all the parts have arrived. The linear bearings are in, my replacement rods from Amazon are in, and cut to size. Most importantly, the stepper motors are in. This makes it possible to start assembling the motion axes. So I have.

Read More

Frame Order Status Nuts

The wooden parts of the frame are nearing completion. Six orders from Aliexpress remain in-transit. All in all, this is going swimmingly… albeit the anticipation of the linear bearings and stepper motors arriving is just driving me crazy. I’m nearly able to start assembling. This post may be low on photos. I didn’t stop to take many.

Read More

When Importing Goes Awry

So far, I’ve placed 18 orders on AliExpress.com. 11% of them are ‘in dispute’. This is my first experience with this level of importing, and I feel I can confidently say that the reduced costs carry an extra level of risk. When you order from a place like Amazon, you pay a higher price to insulate yourself from… complications. One order was sent from the supplier to AliExpress for shipping. The shipment records were created, then canceled, twice. I asked the supplier about it, they got in contact with AliExpress, and apparently it had something to do with the ‘security’ of the package. The seller said they’d give me a refund, so I opened a dispute for a refund. I have no idea if I should have done that. The other order in dispute, contained my stainless steel rods. Two of them (the shortest) were still in the packaged when I got it. Four of them had created a hole in the corner of the package, and fallen out in transit. Somewhere. I never got the goods I paid for, and the shippers are giving a collective shrug. There’s an open dispute on that one.

Read More

Templates Work

After reprinting a PLA template at 6mm thick and sticking it to a new piece of wood, I took it out to the shop to see what would happen. The tl;dr is: SUCCESS.

Read More

Waiting On Imports

While we’re waiting for the import parts to arrive, there is plenty to do. I’ve been making progress on the wooden frame, and first iteration of ABS parts have been printed by my friend Sam. All the source for the STLs and DXFs and what-not are in the Varnerized Prusa i3 development branch. Let’s have a look at what we’ve done so far.

Read More

Varnerized Prusa I3

After spending a bit of time with a Prusa i3 MK2 3-d printer at the office, it’s become apparent to me that this is a tool I’d love to have access to at home, in the shop. So begins my effort to create a Varnerized open-source Prusa clone, aided by information from others who have pulled this off, and a friend with an Original Prusa i3 MK2s at home.

Read More

Metrics Metrics Metrics

Whole-house power consumption - Metrics Metrics Metrics. :-)

Read More

Carrier Bryant Connex Thermostats

Hacking the Bryant / Carrier Touchscreen Thermostats

Read More

Pi Zero Ws

Last week I ordered a couple of the brand spanking new Raspberry Pi Zero Wireless boards from adafruit.

Read More

Lets See If This Works

Let’s see if this Jekyll thing works and is as simple as it seems to look like it ought to be.

Read More