Let’s see if this Jekyll thing works and is as simple as it seems to look like it ought to be.
A few years ago I had my own blog on wordpress, on my own “server”, in my own closet, in my own home.
Something about running WP seems like a shady security issue these days. Especially in a closet in my house.
At some point, I needed to do some velocity template work and took the time to convert that WP site to a staticly generated site using velocity templates. It made it so hard to blog (because, you know, you had to staticlly generate things, then rsync the output to the server, etc.) as a manual process that I gave up. Because. Reasons.
I think I still have all that content… dating back to the early 2000’s in many cases. Most of it from before I had kids. Most of it before I had a wife. You know, the old bad ‘bachelor’ days where I had ample free time to explore intellectual pursuits of rather dubious value in esoteric realms…
Anyhow, over the last few months I’ve realized I probably ought to restart the blog, because facebook just isn’t the place for long-form and isn’t even close to the kind of tool I miss having for disseminating useless information.
I have a feeling the github hosting will be a bit better. So let’s try this out.